Which handrails should I choose for stairs in a private house?
Railings are fences that are built in such a way that a person leans on them when climbing or descending stairs for safety. Some people think that the element is important only for young children and the elderly, but this is not the case. In practice, you can make sure that a middle-aged person and young people also need such a safety net. Therefore, handrails are an integral part of stairs. If someone accidentally stumbles, his head turns dizzy or darkens in his eyes due to illness, he can easily grab the fence and not fall, do without injury.
In modern conditions, manufacturers offer a lot of different ways of making railings. There are ready-made elements that only need to be assembled from parts. They can be ordered from glass, metal or wood. Original railings for stairs are bought most often by people who want to show guests their social status or elegant taste.
What are the requirements for stairs in country houses?
What requirements should stairs meet in a country house? There are separate rules and regulations for the construction of stairs that are made of wood, metal or reinforced concrete. However, it is possible to meet general requirements that do not meet any specific parameters, but apply to all types of objects.
- It is not allowed to use auxiliary and transformable elements between floors in a residential area.
- When there are more than two floors in the house, the main staircase should include a common span that unites all levels. Stairs cannot be installed between the first and ground floor, and the second between the second and the first.
- One flight of steps must consist of at least three elements, but there can be no more than 18 of them.
- The width of the span should be selected based on the person’s pass. For example, for one person the size should be at least 80 cm, and for two people — about 100 cm.
- For the disabled, the minimum width of the stairs, including a folding or permanent ramp, should be 150 cm.
- If two or more marches are installed on the structure, which go towards each other, the gap between them should be at least 5 cm.
- The width of the stairs should be the same throughout. It is impossible to narrow or expand the elements, and there should not be a door and an opening for it at the exit.
There is another rule to ensure the comfort of a person who uses a staircase between floors. It is necessary that the length of the step is comfortable and optimal for any leg. Also, the number of steps is always made odd so that walking starts and ends with a certain leg.
What sizes should I choose for the railing?
The standard size of railings for an office, private house, shop and other object is 90 cm. But it is necessary to take into account the growth rate in order to correctly select the height of the structure. If a person is tall, the support should be higher, if this rule is ignored, the fence may not protect such a person from falling.
The height of the railing for stairs in a private house should be 90 cm. This is the average for a teenager and an adult, that is, it is suitable for everyone. But before the formation of fences in various institutions, the height of the stair railings changes. Children under three years old should use a 50 cm railing, for schoolchildren this parameter is 75 cm (6-14 years old).
If we talk about fire escapes outside the house, we need to rely on strict standards according to GOST. The height of the railing in this case can be at least 120 cm. These norms should be taken into account, otherwise, the object simply will not pass the test for the use of stairs. For balconies, verandas, terraces and loggias, this standard is also relevant.
Indoor stairs in entrances and private houses must have a railing at least 90 cm high.
Tips on choosing a material for railings
There are some requirements for fences that cannot be ignored when choosing them:
- First of all, the railing must comply with safety regulations. If this function is not performed, the railing is considered a useless element. When using a ladder, a person uses a handrail as a support and a limiter. If your head gets dizzy or your legs get tangled, the fence should detain a person when falling. Therefore, the element should be made only of durable materials.
- The residential railing needs to be taken care of, so choose a nice material.
- Fences should be for all family members. It is necessary to take into account the growth of children, adults and people with disabilities. The height of the railing, the distance between the balusters and the material of the product should be thought out to the smallest detail.
- The materials must be particularly durable, and the installation must be reliable. This is one of the main safety criteria that ensures resistance to mechanical damage.
- Fences can have high decorative properties. Some railings look like a real work of art. But the beauty of this element should fade into the background even in a house where special time and serious requirements are devoted to design.
From this list, you might think that the choice of railings is based only on practicality considerations. However, this is not the case. Manufacturers today offer not only reliable, but also elegant, excellent in appearance parameters of railings. In the manufacturing process, durable materials are used: glass, which changes properties after quenching, brass and aluminum.
How to make a handrail for stairs with your own hands?
The railing of the stairs of a country house can be made independently. It is necessary to collect all the necessary elements.
- Handrails. The part of the railing that you can hold on to with your hands.
- Balusters. Vertical posts holding handrails.
- End and turn tables. Stronger elements relative to the balusters and uprights. They are placed vertically at the beginning and at the end, as well as at the turns of the stairs.
To make a strong and smooth railing, you should draw up a drawing, taking into account and calculating all the dimensions and amount of material. You need to think about how you will install the balusters. They should be increased if it is planned to combine with the help of a spike that needs to be pre-sharpened.
To install two balusters on the same step, you need to reduce the length of one of the elements, because the stairs usually rise continuously. Depending on the slope of the stairs, you need to calculate how many centimeters to reduce the support.
There are some steps for making railings:
- First, take measurements on the stairs themselves. It is necessary to measure the width of the steps, calculate the number of balusters, the length of the railing.
- It is necessary to make a sketch where all the details should be numbered and leave the necessary dimensions on them.
- Then the bars are sawn, based on the size of the balusters.
- After that, you need to turn the parts manually and with the help of a machine to give the desired shape. At the end of the work — to polish.
- Next, you should make handrails and bollards (support pillars).
- Then all the details on the stairs are already installed.