Polycarbonate awnings in the courtyard of a private house: photos of original designs
Many of us still remember when the canopies were a gray slate structure on supports made of metal or wooden pillars. They, of course, protected from the weather, but made the space under them dark and dull. The nondescript structures were replaced by light translucent polycarbonate canopies in the courtyard of a private house: the photo of non-trivial forms reliably demonstrates the elegance and functionality of modern canopies made of durable and durable polycarbonate.
- 1 Versatility of polycarbonate canopies in the yard
- 2 Polycarbonate awnings in the courtyard of a private house: photo examples, installation rules
- 3 Forms of polycarbonate canopies and their advantages
- 4 Constructions of polycarbonate canopies in the courtyard of a private house
- 5 Carports made of polycarbonate. Photos of the best options
- 6 Prices of polycarbonate awnings in the courtyard of a private house. Photos of finished products
Versatility of application of polycarbonate canopies in the yard
The appearance of polycarbonate on the market of building materials, which has high optical and mechanical properties, has allowed it to be successfully used for various kinds of light structures: light-transmitting roofs, greenhouses, canopies, gazebos, verandas, canopies, summer showers and many others.
Thanks to the plasticity of this material, it became possible to realize elegant design designs made of polycarbonate sheets. The versatility of polycarbonate canopies is that in addition to the function of protection from the negative effects of climatic conditions, they perfectly complement and complete the architectural composition.
The use of polycarbonate sheets for covering canopies is explained by a number of qualitative characteristics of this material:
- high impact strength — with a small weight, polycarbonate is hundreds of times stronger than glass and several times stronger than acrylic plastic and polyvinyl chloride;
- light weight — provides convenience of cutting, processing and installation;
- excellent light transmittance — transmits and diffuses light, preventing from ultraviolet radiation;
- resistance to chemical and atmospheric influences;
- high bending strength, resistance to mechanical stress;
- processing safety — does not crack, does not break, does not give sharp fragments on impact;
- durability — preservation of quality properties throughout the entire service life;
- fire resistance;
- heat resistance — withstands temperature changes from -30 to +55 °C;
- does not require additional processing, easy to care for;
- excellent design characteristics — it has plasticity, bends easily, has a variety of colors, manufacturers are constantly expanding the color range.
Useful advice! When purchasing polycarbonate for awnings, try to choose a color that will create a shade of light comfortable to the eye under the building. Green is suitable for a recreation area, bronze for a car, and turquoise above the pool will give the water a natural shade.
According to its structure, polycarbonate can be monolithic and cellular (cellular), having several layers connected by stiffeners. Giving preference to the use of one or another type of plastic for covering the canopy, it is necessary to take into account the requirements for the structure. Monolithic polycarbonate is heavy—duty, shock-resistant, durable, but heavier and more expensive. Cellular samples are quite plastic, light, due to light scattering, prevent heating of objects under canopies.
Polycarbonate awnings in the courtyard of a private house: photo examples, installation rules
Taking into account the plasticity and ease of processing of polycarbonate, the fastening of sheets to the frame of canopies can be performed independently. Plastic is well cut and drilled without chipping and does not form cracks. But it is worth getting acquainted with some rules and nuances of installation:
- it is necessary to lay the sheets with the marked side up, where the plastic is treated with a protective color film, otherwise the polycarbonate will quickly collapse. Traditionally, manufacturing companies put their logo on this film;
- when drilling holes for fasteners, it is necessary to ensure that the distance from the edge of the sheet is over 45 mm;
- the arrangement of the lines of the edges of the sheets along the length should fall on the longitudinal elements of the frame;
- it is necessary to calculate the exact pitch of the longitudinal supports and transverse elements of the frame to ensure the rigidity of the structure of polycarbonate panels;
- for point fastening of sheets to the frame, self-tapping screws with special thermal washers (matching the color of plastic) are used, and the holes for self-tapping screws are performed a little more, taking into account the thermal expansion of the material;
- the sheets are arranged in such a way as to ensure that condensate is discharged from the channels to the outside. Channels in the material have a longitudinal direction;
- if the canopy is arched, the sheet is positioned so that the stiffeners go in an arc, with a pitched canopy — along the slope;
- polycarbonate profiles (transparent or colored) are used for the longitudinal connection of the panels;
- the end edges of the sheets must be properly processed: if the polycarbonate is located on an inclined slope, the upper edge is closed with a sealed tape, the lower one with a punched tape. In an arched structure, both ends are provided with punched tape. This treatment prevents dust from getting inside the sheet and at the same time ensures condensate runoff;
- when caring for the material, it is not recommended to use abrasives or remove dirt with sharp objects (knives, screwdrivers).
Useful advice! It is forbidden to leave the end edges of polycarbonate completely open or completely seal the lower ends. Improper processing of the ends of the sheet will lead to deterioration of the light transmission qualities of the material.
Polycarbonate awnings in the courtyard of a private house (the photo illustrates designs with original lines) perfectly fit into the overall exterior design and provide mitigation of the negative effects of bad weather and UV rays.
Forms of polycarbonate canopies and their advantages
Polycarbonate canopies in the courtyard of a private house (photos of structures with different outlines confirm this) can be given any configuration. But there are several types of frames, most often used in the courtyards of their own homes and in suburban areas.
One of the first in this list are canopies of arched (semicircular) shape. They are used to cover the yard, parking space, swimming pool, terrace, balcony, porch. Arched canopies are often used with the support of one side on an existing capital structure or fence. The advantage of this type of frame is, first of all, the free descent of snow from the canopy.
It should be taken into account that when it rains, water flows down on both sides of the canopy. The arched structure is quite strong and damage to such a structure from strong gusts of wind is unlikely. The complexity of self-manufacturing in the arched version consists in the complexity of bending the profile pipe of the frame.
Cascading canopy systems look very stylish. They consist of several semicircular structures located at different levels. Such canopies are used to cover a high porch with a large number of steps to avoid precipitation on the lowest step.
If, when protecting the porch, only one arched canopy is used, it will have to be positioned at an appropriate slope, which will allow water to drain directly under the lower step. And the cascade design will direct the water flows to the sides. The manufacture and installation of such a system is more complicated and involves additional expenditure of materials.
Lean-to structures of canopies are quite simple, but no less popular in the arrangement of the yard. The frame is assembled simply. There is no need to use trusses to strengthen the structure, to bend polycarbonate panels for coating. The main condition will be the correct choice of the angle of inclination and the thickness of the coating, at which it will withstand the snow load.
A gable canopy is often used to protect barbecues, barbecues, porches. Its device is a little more complicated, compared to the lean-to structure, but it is more resistant to powerful wind currents. By itself, the gable structure provides more reliable protection from rain and snow. A steeper slope angle of the slopes ensures a rapid snow removal from the roof surface.
Constructions of polycarbonate canopies in the courtyard of a private house
Many prefer to attach a canopy to one of the walls of the house. Usually such structures cover a fairly significant, if not all, part of the yard, which allows you to be outside in any weather. There are canopies covering the passage to the summer kitchen or garage, which also eliminates the discomfort when moving in inclement weather. Hinged structures attached to the house can have a lean-to or arched shape. The main thing is to correctly calculate the load during the winter operation of the canopy.
Other popular types of canopies are canopies. Usually they are arranged over the entrance or porch, protecting it from rain and icing in the winter season. The canopy over the porch will protect the steps from water ingress and prevent their destruction. You can equip the entrance doors to the workshop, sauna, summer kitchen or basement with a visor.
The shape of the canopies is given different: single-pitched, double-pitched, semicircular. Care should be taken to ensure that the design is maintained in the general style and securely fixed. Arched visors with ornaments made of forged elements look flawless.
The canopies covering recreation areas, playgrounds, and also acting as gazebos are distinguished by their functionality and aesthetics. The variety of design and color solutions of these structures is really impressive. There are products in the form of a dome or tent, using a combination of polycarbonate colors for various sectors of the coating. Simple and concise look small hinged polycarbonate structures over a complex of several benches and a table where you can, regardless of the weather, enjoy the local landscape.
Many owners of swimming pools build canopies over them. This greatly simplifies the care of an artificial pond and allows you to indulge in water procedures in any weather. Thanks to the protective properties of polycarbonate, you can swim in the pool under such a canopy, even when the sun is at its zenith: it will not hurt your health.
The design protects the reservoir from debris, foliage and rainwater. Canopies can be installed both permanently and have a collapsible structure. Monolithic polycarbonate with a thickness of more than 5 mm or cellular, if its thickness is at least 8 mm, is more often used for coating.
Polycarbonate awnings covering a balcony or terrace combine functionality and aesthetics. Translucent structures reliably protect open spaces from precipitation, preventing premature destruction. And elegant forms adequately decorate the facade.
Carports made of polycarbonate. Photos of the best options
Awnings that protect the car are very popular. They act as a worthy alternative to capital garages. Such structures can have different shapes, be attached to the house or directly to the garage, as well as be installed separately. Some models of canopies have a lean-to shape with a closed back side or are tied to the fence of the site.
The dimensions of the carports for the car are determined based on the dimensions of the car itself. For small cars, it is enough to cover a platform of 2.5×5 m, for impressive SUVs or family minivans, the size of the platform is increased to 3.5×6.5 m. The height of the canopies is also selected individually, but it is not recommended to make the structure too high, this will contribute to the ingress of some precipitation under the covered space.
Especially relevant is the installation of carports made of polycarbonate (photo examples can be used for a sample) in a suburban area where there is not always enough space for a garage. In order to save the site, the structures are attached to the house, and if there is no need, they build free—standing canopies.
Given certain characteristics of polycarbonate, such a coating is the best suited to protect the car. You can be sure that the car will be protected from precipitation, will not overheat in the sun. By selecting a material of a particular color, you can adjust the illumination of the space under the canopy.
Many craftsmen independently install carports made of polycarbonate. The price in this case will include only the cost of materials.
Prices of polycarbonate awnings in the courtyard of a private house. Photos of finished products
The construction of conventional polycarbonate canopies is quite simple and consists of support posts, a frame and a coating. Such structures are easily erected independently. But it is better to entrust the manufacture of more complex polycarbonate canopies (photos and prices are listed in catalogs) to experienced craftsmen.
Given the increasing demand for canopy designs, many manufacturers offer their services for their manufacture and installation. You can purchase accessories for the canopy from manufacturers, or order finished products with installation. Prices for finished products with polycarbonate coating are quite loyal.
The full package includes the following services:
- departure of the representative to the place and performance of measurements;
- manufacturing of the structure on the territory of the manufacturer;
- delivery to the installation site and installation of the canopy.
Useful advice! If you decide to purchase a ready-made canopy, follow the information on the websites of companies: very often manufacturers arrange promotions, announce discounts and gifts.
When ordering a particular canopy model, you can choose the size, shape of the structure, materials for the manufacture of the frame, as well as the color and thickness of the polycarbonate coating. Individual adjustments can be made to the project at your request. The installation period ranges from one to three days and depends on the conditions and complexity of the assembly.
On the manufacturers’ websites, you can find various models of polycarbonate carports (photos and prices of products are indicated in the relevant sections). All finished products are accompanied by a warranty. If the dimensions of the canopy you need are not included in the manufacturer’s price list, you can use a calculator to calculate the cost of the product.
Companies specializing in the manufacture of canopies carry out projects taking into account the wishes of the client, the design of the buildings available in the yard and the landscape. After completing the necessary calculations, the customer is provided with a full estimate for the company’s services. The table shows the approximate prices per square meter of the polycarbonate canopy structure:
Using the services of professionals in the manufacture and installation of hinged structures, you get a reliable, durable and aesthetic canopy that perfectly fits into the exterior and will last for many years.
Whether you’re an individual looking to enhance the beauty and safety of your home or a business in need of top-notch staircase railings, look no further than Luxury Staircase Railings. With our commitment to delivering exceptional quality and craftsmanship, we offer the perfect solution to elevate your space with stunning railings, handrails, and railing systems.