Polycarbonate awnings for a private house with your own hands: photos of modern hinged structures
Modern canopies, thanks to the use of the latest building materials in their designs, can have a wide variety of configurations. The owners of their own estates and country houses especially liked polycarbonate awnings for a private house with their own hands: photos of convenient and practical structures convince of their extraordinary versatility. Having covered most of the yard with a polycarbonate canopy, you don’t have to worry that a sudden rain will catch you by surprise, forcing you to collect garden tools, shoes, and equipment left on the street. The structure attached to the house will hide the car from the scorching sun, and if there is a dinner with friends in the fresh air, the meeting will not have to be postponed due to bad weather.
The polycarbonate-coated canopy looks modern and attractive
- 1 Types of structures of canopies attached to the house
- 2 Materials for canopies: which polycarbonate is better
- 3 What thickness of polycarbonate is better to use for awnings
- 4 Drawings of polycarbonate canopies with your own hands
- 5 Polycarbonate awnings for a private house with your own hands: photos of universal structures
- 6 How to make polycarbonate awnings with your own hands
- 6.1 Material selection
- 6.2 Installation and concreting of wooden supports
- 6.3 Frame manufacturing
- 6.4 Covering the frame with polycarbonate sheets
Types of structures of canopies attached to the house
Both for canopies installed separately and for structures adjacent to the house, there is a single rule: the structures must be combined with existing architectural forms and fit into the overall landscape design. The canopies attached to the house rest on the racks with one side, and the other is statically attached to the wall of the house, garage or fence. There are several types of frames for such structures:
- canopies with a single—pitched roof are the most familiar simple structure. The installation technology is quite simple. When calculating the angle of inclination of a flat roof, the possibility of rapid snow cover in winter is taken into account;
A shed attached to the house, with a gable roof
- gable structures are common roof forms that have two slopes. The angle of inclination in such structures is 35-45 degrees, which ensures snowfall under its own weight and the absence of stagnation of rainwater. Recently, gable canopies with concave and curved slopes have been gaining popularity;
The canopy should be harmoniously combined with the main structure
- the arched (semicircular) shape of the roof is an actual design from the point of view of functionality and originality. The appearance of the latest materials with plastic properties has made it possible to successfully use such structures for canopies, canopies and other structures. The semicircular roof contributes to the timely removal of snow. The bending radius of the arch depends on the minimum allowed by the manufacturer for the material used;
Adjacent to the house is a canopy with a frame made of wood and metal
- undulating and domed structures — used as a protective and decorative element;
- multilevel canopies are structures that have several tiers. In such canopies, both pitched roof forms and arched ones can be used.
The canopy with polycarbonate coating fits perfectly into the design of the house territory
For self-manufacturing and installation of a polycarbonate canopy, especially if the work is being done for the first time, it is recommended to choose a structure with a single-pitched roof. It is quite easy to manufacture and you can cope with the installation without having special skills.
A cozy recreation area is equipped under the canopy
It will be much more difficult to design, manufacture and install domed or arched polycarbonate canopies to a private house with your own hands (photos on the web demonstrate complex designs of such structures). Here it is necessary to take into account the channel directions in the polycarbonate honeycomb panels, the permissible bending radius, the thickness of the material and other points that require certain knowledge and skills.
Polycarbonate has the ability to transmit sunlight well, while protecting it from harmful radiation
Materials for canopies: which polycarbonate is better
A canopy is a simple structure in the form of a roof mounted on support posts. For supports, you can use a tree (logs or beams), a metal profile pipe with different cross-sections, as well as columns made of bricks. A metal profile and a wooden beam are also used to assemble the frame, only the cross section is selected smaller than for supports.
The material for covering canopies can be diverse. It is the roof that gives the structure a certain appearance. It can be plastic slate, asbestos cement slate, metal tiles, copper sheets, corrugated board, polycarbonate.
Currently, there are a large number of different types of polycarbonate on the market
Due to a number of unique properties, polycarbonate is the most in demand as a coating for canopies. This material is in many ways superior to metal and glass, not inferior to them in environmental friendliness and durability. The high resistance to loads of cellular polycarbonate in comparison with glass is determined by the presence of longitudinal stiffeners of the cellular structure.
Although monolithic polycarbonate is stronger than cellular, each of them has its own advantages. The choice of a particular type of coating directly depends on the requirements for the structure.
The project of a carport with polycarbonate coating
Solid polycarbonate has an incredible light transmission capacity reaching 90%. Cellular samples have slightly less translucent qualities, but at the same time they perfectly scatter light and create a barrier to ultraviolet radiation. The use of polycarbonate sheets for canopies is due to the following properties:
- high structural strength — several layers interconnected by stiffening partitions at different angles form a cellular structure, providing high strength;
- stability, ability to withstand strong wind and snow load;
- impact resistance — the material not only does not form fragments when broken, but also almost does not deform under mechanical influences;
- flexibility — it is possible to give the material any desired shape without compromising its characteristics;
The wooden frame of the canopy is covered with polycarbonate sheets
- high percentage of light transmission with UV protection;
- resistance to temperature fluctuations — can be operated at temperatures from -40 to +55 ° C;
- light weight — allows installation without resorting to the use of special mechanisms (the material is 15 times lighter than similar-sized glass);
Arched canopy covering the courtyard of a private house
- easy to cut — the material is perfectly processed with cutting tools, drilled, while there are no fragments;
- fireproof — a difficult-to-ignite material, when contact with a fire source ceases, it self-extinguishes. The hole formed during the melting allows the smoke to escape, eliminating the risk of suffocation;
- resistant to chemical and atmospheric influences;
The project of a canopy attached to the wall of a private house
- durable — retains its properties throughout the entire period of operation, which is 10-11 years;
- it is easy to care for — it does not require additional treatment, it can be cleaned quickly.
As for the aesthetic component, manufacturers produce not only colorless transparent sheets, but also samples with a number of colors. This allows you to give structures made of cellular polycarbonate a spectacular appearance.
The polycarbonate canopy is an excellent protection from the sun and bad weather
Useful advice! Choosing the color of polycarbonate to cover the canopy, you should give preference to tones that do not distort the natural colors of objects located under the structure. When using red and orange panels, all objects will have a corresponding characteristic shade.
Polycarbonate canopy with a lean-to roof structure
What thickness of polycarbonate is better to use for canopies
The characteristics of polycarbonate are largely determined by the structure of the material: cellular panels are hollow, their specific gravity is much less than that of solid sheets. Consequently, their cost is lower.
The parameters of choosing polycarbonate for canopies are: its decorative features, geometric shapes, purpose, economic indicators.
The ideal option would be equipment under the canopy of the dining area
Useful advice! If the style of the structure provides for plastic, similar to silicate glass, monolithic polycarbonate is used, which can also have different colors.
The canopies adjacent to the house are supported on the racks with one side, and the other is attached to the wall of the capital structure
It is recommended to use polycarbonate with a thickness of 4 mm or more for canopies. It is possible to analyze the parameters of various types of panels based on their operational properties:
Determining the optimal thickness of the honeycomb panels, take into account the purpose of the canopy and the degree of load on the structure. For sheets with a honeycomb structure, the following is taken into account:
- polycarbonate with a thickness of 4 mm is used for small canopies with maximum rounding (canopies, greenhouses);
Thanks to the wide variety of polycarbonate colors, you can build an original and bright canopy
- sheets with a thickness of 6-8 mm cover large structures that can withstand the effects of strong winds and snow loads (canopies for the yard, parking areas, swimming pools);
- the thickness of the sheet of 10 mm is used for the operation of the structure in environmental conditions close to extreme.
Modern canopy with polycarbonate coating
The thickness of the monolithic polycarbonate panels can vary from 4 to 12 mm. This material is twice as strong as the cellular analogue. The most commonly used thickness of a solid sheet for canopies is 4-6 mm, which may well guarantee the strength of the structure in any climatic conditions.
Metal canopy frame with forging elements
Drawings of polycarbonate canopies with your own hands
In order for the manufacture, assembly and installation of the structure to be carried out without any unexpected difficulties, you should develop a drawing of a polycarbonate canopy with your own hands. This will allow you to properly prepare all the elements of the frame and avoid possible overspending of materials. Sketches of the future construction should take into account the design features of the chosen canopy shape. If possible, the parameters of the adjacent structure are chosen so that when cutting pipes and cutting plastic, as little waste as possible remains.
Drawing of a frame for an arched canopy
If an arched structure is selected, the frame of which is made of a profile pipe, it is necessary to have special equipment for bending pipes. Not everyone has such a tool at hand, but even with a pipe bend, it is quite difficult to give the material the right bend in shape.
Cutting polycarbonate for a semicircular structure is also fraught with some difficulties. Therefore, for work performed independently, it is recommended to opt for a single-pitched polycarbonate canopy. For the frame of this design, it is much easier to calculate the number of profile pipes and cut out the necessary size sheets of polycarbonate.
3D project of a canopy with a polycarbonate roof
Useful advice! In the design schemes, such a distance between the transverse elements of the crate should be provided so that the joint line of the panels falls on the profile pipe of the frame. Thus, the polycarbonate coating will be rigidly fixed.
A modern solution of a canopy attached to the wall of the house
When covering the roof with polycarbonate, the installation features of this material should be taken into account:
- typical polycarbonate panels are available with a length of 6 or 12 m and a width of 2.1 m. Guided by these parameters, the dimensions of the structure are calculated, which allows you to get as little waste as possible;
- the panels are connected to each other using end profiles (their length is 6 m), which can be selected in the color of polycarbonate. They are securely fastened and do not require additional fixation;
Drawing of a canopy with a polycarbonate roof
- the length of the end profile covering the end section is 2.1 m;
- to cover semicircular roofs, a polycarbonate sheet is positioned in such a way that the bend is in the transverse direction of the air channels;
- the arrangement of the polycarbonate sheets should be such as to ensure an unobstructed condensate discharge from the internal channels. Otherwise, the honeycombs inside the plastic will become moldy, which will affect the light transmission qualities;
A canopy with a lean-to roof is the easiest option for building with your own hands
- in pitched structures of canopies, the upper end of cellular polycarbonate is closed with a solid self-adhesive tape to avoid moisture, dust, and insects. The lower end is processed with a perforated tape, which allows moisture to be removed outside. In arched canopies, microperforation tape is used at both ends;
Drawing of a frame for a canopy with a lean-to roof
- mounting holes are created with a slightly larger diameter, which will allow polycarbonate to expand or contract freely depending on temperature exposure. Do not make the holes too large;
- when installing panels, self-tapping screws with thermal washers are used, which are selected in the color of polycarbonate.
Example of a drawing of a polycarbonate canopy
Useful advice! The use of thermal washers of the appropriate colors gives the coating a neat aesthetic appearance and eliminates the ingress of moisture and dust into the polycarbonate panel through the mounting hole.
The project also provides for the thickness of polycarbonate corresponding to the selected design:
- awnings of impressive size with an inclined shape — sheets with a thickness of 10 mm;
- arched and semicircular canopies — an 8 mm panel will do;
Canopy adjacent to the wall of the house, with polycarbonate coating
- for adjacent lean-to canopies with a gentle slope, polycarbonate with a sheet thickness of 16 mm is chosen, capable of withstanding possible snow loads in winter.
All these nuances should be taken into account before installing a polycarbonate canopy to a private house with your own hands. Photos of self-made structures will serve as an example for the manufacture of their unique structures.
The scheme of the device of a canopy adjacent to a private house
Polycarbonate awnings for a private house with your own hands: photos of universal structures
Canopies adjacent to the house, as a rule, cover most of the yard. Some prefer to close the entire house territory. This approach contributes to the universality of the use of structures:
- it is easy to place a car under it, protecting it from rain, hail, snow;
- the canopy will protect the paving slabs in the yard from premature destruction and cracking;
- thanks to the canopy, the porch and steps will always remain dry, which will eliminate the possibility of slipping;
A polycarbonate canopy covers most of the yard
- the design will eliminate the wetting of garden tools and equipment, various items left on the street;
- thanks to the translucency of polycarbonate, mini flower beds with flowers can be placed under the canopy;
- it is very convenient to bring the water pipe into the yard. Thanks to the hinged covering, it is possible to do household chores during the entire summer period in any weather without going into the house: wash dishes, vegetables and fruits, preserve food, etc.;
The project of a canopy attached to the wall of a country house
- a functional structure is a shed for a summer cottage: lovers of harvesting and drying fruits can not worry that direct sunlight or moisture will fall on the raw materials;
- with the arrival of autumn, the yard protected by a canopy will not have to be constantly cleaned of falling leaves and branches, and in winter — spend a lot of time clearing snow.
Various variants of canopies with a lean-to roof
Canopies attached to the house are a more acceptable option in comparison with a free-standing structure, since their construction will require less financial investment, and they are mounted much faster.
Polycarbonate is characterized by high strength and environmental friendliness
Using polycarbonate awnings for cars, you save it from many negative impacts:
- polycarbonate coating protects the paint layer of the car from sunlight, keeping it in perfect condition;
- the roof of the canopy will become an obstacle for precipitation and small objects to get on the body. In winter, it will protect you from snow drifts;
- a car parked under a canopy is well ventilated, which protects the body elements from corrosion;
Polycarbonate coating will help you comfortably spend time outdoors even on rainy days
- it is much more convenient to unload or load things into the car, especially in inclement weather, under a canopy;
- the space protected by a canopy can be used for car maintenance and repair, regardless of weather conditions;
- even if there is a garage in the yard, it is often more convenient to leave the car under a canopy if you need it after some time.
The complex structure of a canopy attached to a private house
These and many other functions allow carports attached to the house to be a worthy alternative to a capital garage. Photos of polycarbonate carports, presented on the web in large numbers, demonstrate various forms of these structures.
The project of a wooden frame for a canopy with an undulating roof
It is very convenient to use the territory under a canopy for family breakfasts and dinners outdoors, especially if the structure is adjacent to the wall in which the kitchen windows are located. In this case, the hostess will be handy to serve dishes and cooked dishes directly from the kitchen to the street. You can also quickly cope with cleaning the dishes after the feast.
The canopy can become a unique decoration of the entire house territory
The canopy protecting the porch and the entrance to the house allows you to leave shoes used in the yard and garden outside the door without fear of getting wet, which contributes to the maintenance of the dwelling in perfect cleanliness. And the canopy attached to the house, the covering of which protects the balcony or terrace, will make it possible to place comfortable upholstered furniture for relaxation there.
Due to its properties polycarbonate is the most popular material for covering canopies
How to make polycarbonate awnings with your own hands
Before proceeding to the independent manufacture of a polycarbonate canopy adjacent to the house, it is necessary to determine from which materials the racks and the frame of the structure will be made.
Transparent polycarbonate is an excellent alternative to glass
For the support posts of the wooden structure of the canopies, a beam of various cross—sections is used, for a crate – a board. Wood is an eco—friendly material that can be easily processed and serves for a long time with proper care, and the construction of it will be cheaper than metal. In addition, when working with wood, there is no need for a welding machine and special skills. Among the disadvantages, it can be noted the ease of ignition, the susceptibility to rotting. Therefore, it is necessary to monitor the design and process wooden surfaces with special compositions in time.
Construction of a canopy adjacent to the wall of the house
In metal structures, a profile pipe of various cross-sections is used. The recommended thickness of the metal is at least 2 mm. Metal structures are highly durable, resistant to moisture, and have a long service life. To prevent corrosion, the metal surface is primed and painted. Welding or bolting is used to connect the parts. You can give the canopy structure an elegant openwork look by applying forged elements. However, forged structures will cost much more.
A shed attached to the house, with a metal frame
In some cases, stone or brick pillars are used for canopy supports. Such support posts are quite expensive, but the appearance justifies the investment, given that stone structures are not afraid of moisture, sun and temperature fluctuations.
The use of polycarbonate as a coating allows you to build a canopy of any shape
Installation and concreting of wooden supports
Before making a canopy, it is necessary to determine the amount of material required for the structure. All calculations are made in accordance with drawings and sketches. It is recommended to purchase material in an amount 5-10% more than calculated: this will allow you to quickly replace mistakenly prepared or damaged elements.
Carport plan for a car with a lean-to roof
For the manufacture of a wooden canopy with a polycarbonate roof, the following materials will be required:
- timber with a cross section of 150×150 mm — for support posts and for horizontal beams of the frame. The required amount of material depends on the length and width of the structure;
- board for rafters, girders with a cross section of 100×150 mm. The quantity depends on the distance between the rafters. For polycarbonate coating, a step of 0.5-0.7 m is selected;
- fasteners, hardware;
- polycarbonate sheets.
The low weight of polycarbonate sheets allows installation without the use of special equipment
They begin work with the marking of the territory. The points where the vertical support posts of the canopy will be located are outlined. The height of the supports is taken equal to the height of the canopy, taking into account the depth of the racks at 55-60 cm.
Useful advice! Performing the marking, it should be taken into account that the removal of the roof of the structure from the outside should be 15-20 cm.
An unusual shed with a gable roof attached to a wooden house
Supports, as a rule, are located at a distance of 1-2 meters from each other. The step between the supports is selected depending on the length of the structure and the thickness of the roofing. First, the racks are installed next to the wall of the house, and then a number of racks on the outside of the structure. All supports should be positioned clearly opposite each other. The height of the racks must take into account the slope provided by the project.
Methods of installation of support pillars: a — removable anchor (anchor); b — double-sided anchor (anchor); c — in concrete
For concreting supports, pits are arranged with a width and depth of half a meter. A layer of sand and rubble is poured to the bottom of the pits. Then a support is installed, previously subjected to antiseptic treatment and wrapped with waterproofing material. Check the verticality of the installation and pour concrete. In this form, the support is left until the concrete mixture is completely set.
Arched canopy with polycarbonate coating
The construction of a wooden frame begins with an inner row from the wall. Wooden beams are mounted to the support posts. To obtain the required length, the beams are joined together using metal plates. The position of the beams should be strictly horizontal. Fastening of beams to supports is carried out by means of self-tapping screws. In addition, the beams are additionally attached to the wall of the house by means of fasteners.
Example of a metal frame for a canopy
Useful advice! When installing the canopy yourself, use the construction level and the square to determine the verticals, horizontals and the correctness of the angles. Possible distortions can negatively affect the strength of the structure.
Polycarbonate is easy to install and easy to care for
As soon as the horizontal beams are installed, fasteners for transverse elements are mounted to them. In order for the structure to be more rigid, it is recommended to strengthen the beams with spacers on both sides of the support posts. The spacers are fixed with screws at an angle of 45 degrees.
The scheme of covering the roof with polycarbonate sheets
Then proceed to the installation of transverse elements. As a rule, the beams at the edges are mounted first, then the middle and after that the intermediate cross beams. As soon as all the beams are installed, the edges are closed with an end board. For the strength of the structure, the extreme beams on the left and right are reinforced with substructure legs. This will strengthen the structure with a possible excessive snow load.
Plants placed under a canopy will create a unique atmosphere for relaxation
Covering the frame with polycarbonate sheets
The polycarbonate coating of the frame begins with the cutting of plastic, the surface of which is marked with a marker. According to the planned lines, polycarbonate is cut with a circular saw, the blade of which has small teeth. When cutting the sheets, they should be fixed well so that there is no vibration. After that, the channels of cellular polycarbonate are cleaned of chips and sawdust. When cutting the material, it is necessary to take into account the location of the channels inside the polycarbonate: they must be arranged in such a way that moisture can flow freely.
Installation via a split profile (general view of the assembly)
Useful advice! When covering the canopy with polycarbonate, it should be laid so that the film with the manufacturer’s logo is on top. If you position the sheet the other way around, the material will quickly lose its properties.
Complex canopy structure with transparent polycarbonate coating
After the material is cut, it is placed on the frame and the attachment points are outlined. Here it should be taken into account that the distance from the edge of the sheet to the first hole should be more than 40 mm, and the mounting pitch should be 35-45 cm. Next, mounting holes with a slightly larger diameter than the self-tapping screw are drilled in the designated places. When all the holes are made, the polycarbonate sheets are fixed to the frame. When attaching the sheets, self-tapping screws and thermal washers are used. After fixing the screw, the plug for the hole in the cap snaps, which ensures complete sealing of the attachment.
A canopy adjacent to the house with a frame made of profile pipe
Polycarbonate panels are connected to each other by a plastic profile, which is selected to match the color of the sheet. It should also be ensured that the joint line of the panels falls on the transverse elements of the crate.
As soon as the polycarbonate panels are fixed on the frame, they begin processing the ends of the coating. The upper ones are closed with a special aluminum tape, which prevents dust and moisture from getting inside the sheet. And the lower end is sealed with a special tape with perforation, which not only prevents dust from entering, but also provides a drain of accumulated condensate. After the installation is completed, it is possible to equip the canopy with a gutter for water drainage.
Canopy with undulating roof, covered with polycarbonate
Lean—to canopies attached to the house with polycarbonate coating are simple, but widely used structures that can easily be manufactured and installed independently. Such structures do not require additional reinforcement using trusses. The main thing is to choose the right angle of inclination, which will ensure an unhindered and rapid snowfall.
When it comes to enhancing the elegance of your home or commercial space, Luxury Staircase Railings stands out as a leading provider of exquisite canopy systems, offering both style and functionality in one impressive package.